Household Toxin Alert

Did you know the following common household substances could prove to be fatal for your pet? Campus Veterinary Clinic wants YOU to be aware!

 

Chocolate contains an alkaloid called “theobromine,” which is in the same family as caffeine and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, agitation, racing heart rate, hypertension, tremors, seizures and death. For a 50 pound dog as little as 1 oz. of baking chocolate (or 8 oz milk chocolate) can cause signs of poisoning. Theobromine is incredibly difficult for dogs & cats to metabolize.

 

Xylitol is a naturally occurring substance that is widely used as a sugar substitute. Products that may contain xylitol include sugar-free gum, candies, breath mints, baked goods, cough syrup & toothpaste (to list a few). Though safe for human consumption, xylitol is extremely toxic to both cats & dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death.

 

While ingesting marijuana is not usually fatal for dogs it can have dramatic effects, including depression, tremors, twitching, wobbliness, vomiting, coma and more. Owners should seek treatment immediately. Dogs may need IV fluids or anti-nausea medications.

 

Snail Bait usually comes in pellet form which your pet can find very attractive because it resembles dog kibble. The pellets are sometimes combined with molasses, apples and bran which is added to attract the slugs and snails. Unfortunately, this also attracts your dog to them. A  small amount of snail bait is fatal for dogs. Approx. 1 tsp per 10lb of bodyweight will cause death in 50% of ingestions.