The holiday season is a wonderful
time of year. Whether you’ve planned a get-together of family and friends, or you’ve decorated your home, the holiday season is a time of year that your pet may not be accustomed to. Making sure your pet is out of harm’s way means keeping them in their usual routine and away from dangerous decorations and foods. Here is a list of ways to keep your pet safe during the holidays:
Be wary of toxic plants.
Mistletoe, holly and poinsettias are all dangerous to your pets if ingested. Keep them out of your pet’s reach!
Place electrical cords out of reach.
Your pet may try to chew on an electrical cord and get badly shocked or electrocuted. Keep them well out of reach.
Hang ornaments high on your tree.
Keeping ornaments on the lower branches of your tree is an easy way for your pet to reach them. Glass ornaments can be especially dangerous, as they can break and cut your pet’s feet or mouth.
Keep your tree blocked off.
Tree needles, on both artificial and real trees, are sharp and dangerous to your pet. Baby gates or other “fences” are helpful in keeping your pet out of the room where the tree stands.
Skip the tinsel.
Tinsel may look like a play-thing to your pet, but if ingested, tinsel can obstruct their digestive tract and cause serious damage. Find other toys for your pet that are safe and will distract them from playing with the tinsel.
Keep candles in high places.
If you have lit candles in your home, place them on out-of-reach areas, like a mantel or a high table. If your pet likes to climb, it may be best to invest in no-flame candles.
Check out the ASPCA’s Holiday Safety Tips to learn more about how you should prepare your pet for the season. Call us if you have any questions or concerns regarding your pet’s safety. Our offices are closed Dec. 24 and 25, so for an emergency, please call PETS Referral Center for treatment.