Valentine’s Day Dangers

ChocolatesAs Valentine’s Day approaches so does the threat of potential hazards to our pets. Listed below are the major culprits to be aware of:

Roses

The main risk to pets from these lovely blooms are the same threats they pose to us. Thorns can traumatize mouths and paws which in turn can lead to infection. There is a chance of obstruction to the gastro intenstinal tract if a rose head or stem is ingested. Look for signs of vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy if you suspect your pet dined on your Valentine’s Day arrangement.

Lillies

Lillies are another lovely flower that makes the rounds on Valentine’s Day. This is a bloom that is highly toxic if ingested, particularly in cats who are liable to suffer kidney failure as a result. If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of the flower, call the clinic right away. Symptoms associated with lilly ingestion include salivation, vomiting and inappetance.

Chocolate and Cocoa

A box of chocolates, while a treat for us humans, is no such thing to a four-legged critter. The offending ingredient that causes our pets problems is called theobromine. As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine  is contained in it. The severity of toxicity is dependent on the percentage of theobromine, the weight of your dog and the amount eaten. In the event that your dog eats chocolate, get on the phone with your veterinarian with details of exactly how much and what kind of chocolate was ingested. Some of the signs to look for with chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors and seizures.